Friday, September 2, 2011

Part One: The Most Important Ounce of Welch's Ever!


In order to start this story, I will begin with a little background. As this story is really about hearing God's voice, I will start with the first time I did. It was a Sunday, communion Sunday to be precise, and I was 5 years old. Now in our church, it was considered sinning against Jesus' body for anyone to take communion who had not accepted Jesus into their hearts as Lord and Savior. As I was 5 years old, and our church services were very long, I had gotten very hungry, and quite parched. Whatching those tiny grape juices being passed around was more than I could take. So, I told my mom that I was ready to accept Jesus into my heart. It was maybe the worst reason ever for getting saved. But my mom was very excited, not knowing that really it was discomfort in my stomach, not my spirit that lead me to commit my soul to God. She lead me into the lobby, and we sat in a quiet corner under the coat hangers. She lead me through a prayer to accept Jesus into my heart. That was September 16th, 1990, and my mom has celebrated the day every year since.

You want to know the cool think about that day? I don't remember drinking that grape juice. I do, however, remember on the way home, sitting in the back of our car (this hideous gold woody wagon boat of a car) full in my spirit, listening to God's voice. My mom remembers it because she asked me what I was thinking, and I told her God was speaking to me. She thought I was pretending and asked me what he was saying. I told her that he was telling me how much he loved me, and then told her I was going to go listen some more. I don't know about you, but I do not remember a lot about being five. But this memory is clear. It is the day that I knew God's character, not the one I was taught about for the next several years, but the One who I love and who still speaks to me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment